Welcome to Felixstowe Scribblers

Friday, October 21, 2005

Online Jotters: Post Note 5.

Online Jotters Posted : 21st October 2005

News : When Online Jotters started in August there were just 11 members, that grew in September by a further 8 – so far in October we have had the addition of a further 5 members - making a total membership of 24 active members from England, Northern Ireland, France and Germany. Welcome everyone.

In the fortnight since issuing the last Post Note, I have been sending out invitations to encourage more people to join Online Jotters and on Monday I received the following positive reply via e-mail from Rob Benson of University of Wolverhampton .......

'it sounds like an excellent idea………. Best of luck with this excellent venture.'

.....He went onto suggest that I contact the Student Union at the University or student publications.

Reminder:

Online Jotters announces ......THE FIRST OPEN SHORT STORY COMPETITION

Up to 2000 words .... No prizes – the best three feature online .... Closing date 30th November 2005

PLEASE SEND YOUR SUBMISSIONS AS ATTACHMENTS TO E MAILS – to Yours Truly with permission to print, pen-name, word count and e mail address.

PLEASE NOTE; ONLY ONE SHORT STORY ENTRY PER MEMBER


Prefer writing poetry? .... then enter .... THE FIRST OPEN POETRY COMPETITION

No prizes .... Imagine your verses there online .... Closing date 30th November 2005

Send your email entries to Yours Truly – limit THREE poems for consideration per member

Competitions open to all members so involve others– get them to join too.

Homily for a holiday home from home By Jan McG.

Where do you go for that holiday break to get those literary juices flowing? For me it has to be a rural location, preferably with hills – maybe with the sound of running water nearby. Anglesey had always been a favourite so using the Internet, early last year I booked a weeks stay in a delightful cottage to be shared with our friends.

menai straights sunsetThe location was perfect - close to the Menai Straits and positioned virtually opposite Caernarfon and its splendid Castle. You cross over the Britannia Bridge, follow the brown signs to Anglesey Sea Zoo and are then are treated to a drive along the promenade before turning right into the peaceful country lane to find the very comfortable Cerrig y Barcud holiday cottages.

We stayed in Yr Eifl, one of a group of cottages on the site, which is a three bedroom cottage with a wood burning stove in the open-plan lounge/dining/kitchen and a good sized bathroom with bath and overhead shower downstairs.

From the moment we arrived, the peace I felt from the tranquil setting made me relax. Outside I was pleased to see the rabbits scampering over the hillside. Inside there was nothing for me to worry about as lots of thought and attention has ensured the cottage has everything that you would want - from colour TV, DVD, dishwasher, microwave oven to the little things like washing-up liquid, tea towels and toilet rolls that other self catering establishments expect you to bring.

The place is not only a writers delight, it also appealed to the photographers in our group as a door from one of the bedrooms opens directly out onto a balcony, from where you have a panoramic view of Snowdonia and the Menai Straits. The island itself is a delight to explore as it’s so easy to find your way around – but you don’t have to use the car every day as there are many walks in the area (the Coastal Path is close by) and both the Sea Zoo and Foel Farm (with its delicious handmade chocolates) are literally on the doorstep.

menai straights landscapeOutside the cottage on the patio there were chairs and tables but after our home cooked meal each evening we would head off down the lane to walk along the quiet waterside, soaking up the tranquil atmosphere then returned to the Games Room on site, exhausting ourselves with games of pool or table tennis before returning to the cottage for a hot drink before bedtime.

If you love quiet, serenity then Cerrig y Barcud holiday cottages is in the words of Vic Coulton ‘your home for just a while’ .

Check out his poem at http://www.anglesey-cottages-online.co.uk/anglesey_poem.htm

Yours truly writes: I’m now on holiday for a week so please don’t expect replies to your e-mails between Saturday 22nd – Sunday 30th October 2005. Having had to cancel one holiday to Kent earlier in the year after the death of my Mother and then having to cut short a second holiday to the Lake District in August through ill health, I am hoping that number three goes according to plan!

****

....Let your talent shine
Show your work online....


****

Writer’s Tennis :

Part One

I want to be me. Free to do as I want. I hate the humdrum of every day life, sharing a house with those others. I don’t want to repeat the mistakes they made. What’s wrong with me choosing to study, spending time in my room, working on my computer?

Yours Truly

Part Two

I’m doing them no harm. Let them sink lagers and puff on joints. If that’s what does it for them, then fine. I’d rather use my brain than fuse it. This computer is the door of opportunity for me. When I log on I never know where I’ll end up.

Mike W.

Part Three

Or who I'll meet on the way. There are so many voices on the internet, their faces made up only by the words they type. That's how I met the most important person in my life right now. A person that would give me the opportunity I so badly needed.

Louis V.

Part Four

The opportunity had been a long time coming but now it had arrived, it was decision time. All the hope and hard work I had put in was about to pay dividends. In front of me, on screen. A new beginning at my fingertips. It really was ‘now or never’

Dave F.

Part Five

Sure, I had a good job, one I really liked; how many people can say that? Indispensable? Yes ... NO, of course not, my ego isn't THAT big, is it? But still, his proposal was so very tempting.

Deb F.

Part Six

But like many proposals and cherry pie ideas, there was always the small print to consider. What was hidden and what was extra? Maybe it seemed too good and then it could be that I was being overly cautious. Only time and truth would reveal if it would work out

Mark W.

Part Seven

Indecision struck yet again. Should I do this? Oh Lord, yes! I must and it had to be now. I needed to check the details, ensure the offer was genuine and without hidden agenda's. Then I could commit myself to a life-changing career.

"Stuart Fox," he answered.

Dave F

Part Eight

“Umm…yes” I replied, feeling hesitant.“Ahh excellent….glad you made the choice.” He said, grinning.I felt like I had been offered prime shore front property in Arizona with a great view of the beach! Ok then, once more unto the breach…or something like that.
“Where do I sign?” I said.

Mark W

Part Nine

‘Sure you don’t want to think about it? Talk it over with your friends first?’
I hesitated – but just for a moment. Why should I talk it over with anyone else?
Wasn’t I capable of making a decision like this? Why did I need to ask anyone else’s permission?

Morag C.

Part Ten

After all, who could turn down the chance of a lifetime to own a piece of television history? Here I am about to spend my life savings on a screen legend car, sitting there gleaming in the summer sun, just waiting to be mine.

Gordon M

Strictly a 50-word limit. Please include in your email your permission should it be chosen for the next part.

Check online : Interested in poetry competitions? Be quick to check out the following site as closing dates for entries is December 1st, 2005 Entry Fee £3.00 per poem http://www.petrapoetrycompetition.co.uk/


Other Scribblers online: A search for other Scribblers sites reveals some variations on a theme

Post Note No 6 - online in a fortnight with details of some 2006 competitions!

Yours truly

3 Comments:

Blogger audiosports said...

Gottfried Pott – A Look into the World of Calligraphy

http://audium.blogspot.com/2005/10/gottfried-pott-look-into-world-of.html

Saturday, October 22, 2005 5:55:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave here, sighing heavy at his post. I won't tell you again surfers, no advertizing on my website, mister!

Dave has spoken, Feakes will speak later...

Saturday, October 29, 2005 11:51:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and Mark'll bring up his rear end

Saturday, October 29, 2005 2:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Felixstowe Scribblers Weblog Feed