Welcome to Felixstowe Scribblers

Friday, December 02, 2005

Online Jotters



Post Note No 8
onlinejotters@yahoo.co.uk

Posted : 2nd December 2005

News :
The competition has now closed. Thanks to those of you who contributed - the entries are presently with the judge Diane Wilson. The three winning entries from each category will be announced in Online Jotters First e magazine before Christmas.
I had one positive email when I was approached by a secretary of a short story writers group asking when the next competition would be held so there is hope for more to come!
Membership has remained static this past month - the Felixstowe Scribblers/Online Jotters weblog has now had well over 2,500 hits from countries like U.K., Argentina, Australia, Canada, Germany Holland, Portugal, Taiwan and U.S.A. so hopefully that will yield more interest and help boost membership in the New Year.

Roger McGough – poet extraordinaire
The tunes ‘Lily the Pink’ and ‘Thank U Very Much’ must still be in the nations conscience for those of us who were around to remember the Scaffold! I followed the career of one of the group Roger McGough and remember him reading his poetry to children on television from his book The Bees Knees so was interested to see he was recently awarded the Freedom of the City of Liverpool and a C.B.E. to add to his earlier O.B.E.
His autobiography Said And Done was published early in November and tells of his feelings experienced with Lily The Pink’s fame and working with Mike McCartney and John Gorman. He also relates his time working with other greats of the musical world including George Martin, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Neil Innes, Zoot Money, the late lamented poet Pete McCarthy and the filmstar Marlon Brando.
He is described by Charles Causley as 'a word juggler who never misses a catch' – if you have time then I suggest you catch up with this brilliant poet – I find even on the saddest of days he can force you to smile!
Still on the subject of poetry I happened to chance upon a message on BBC Ceefax recently which stated that Andrew Motion intended to have poets read their own poems online. With a bit of research and an e mail or two I came across the site www.poetryarchive.org and found its well worth a browse!

Online Jotters rolling A.G.M.: Your feedback is required - it’s been put to me that there has been too much creative imput offered in too short a time. Would you agree? I would like to hear from you all – and consider others ideas as to the direction the group ought to be going? For instance would a separate weblog away from Felixstowe Scribblers be the answer (making a clearer division with the various postings)? Personally I feel as part of the Scribblers that we should stay with their site but you may have different views.

Maybe you can suggest a theme for a Writeathons or a future writing competitions. Would you like others to critique your work, perhaps as a group attend writer’s workshops together for that face-to-face contact? Perhaps take over the Post Notes editorial?

Get in touch – share your views online.

Worthy of mention and with their permission:

Thanks to Mark Ward who asked me recently to critique some work of his – he had a saying which I am sure he doesn’t mind sharing which I felt rather appropriate.

Altro diletto che imperar non provo - There is no greater pleasure for me than in learning.


Writer’s Tennis - strictly a 50-word limit.

Part One

I want to be me. Free to do as I want. I hate the humdrum of every day life, sharing a house with those others. I don’t want to repeat the mistakes they made. What’s wrong with me choosing to study, spending time in my room, working on my computer?

Yours Truly

Part Two

I’m doing them no harm. Let them sink lagers and puff on joints. If that’s what does it for them, then fine. I’d rather use my brain than fuse it. This computer is the door of opportunity for me. When I log on I never know where I’ll end up.

Mike W.

Part Three

Or who I'll meet on the way. There are so many voices on the Internet, their faces made up only by the words they type. That's how I met the most important person in my life right now. A person that would give me the opportunity I so badly needed.

Louis V.

Part Four

The opportunity had been a long time coming but now it had arrived, it was decision time. All the hope and hard work I had put in was about to pay dividends. In front of me, on screen. A new beginning at my fingertips. It really was ‘now or never’

Dave F.

Part Five
Sure, I had a good job, one I really liked; how many people can say that? Indispensable? Yes ... NO, of course not, my ego isn't THAT big, is it? But still, his proposal was so very tempting.Deb F.

Part Six

But like many proposals and cherry pie ideas, there was always the small print to consider. What was hidden and what was extra? Maybe it seemed too good and then it could be that I as being overly cautious. Only time and truth would reveal if it would work out

Mark W.

Part Seven

Indecision struck yet again. Should I do this? Oh Lord, yes! I must and it had to be now. I needed to check the details, ensure the offer was genuine and without hidden agenda's. Then I could commit myself to a life-changing career.

"Stuart Fox," he answered.

Dave F

Part Eight

“Umm…yes” I replied, feeling hesitant.“Ahh excellent….glad you made the choice.” He said, grinning.I felt like I had been offered prime shore front property in Arizona with a great view of the beach! Ok then, once more unto the breach…or something like that.“Where do I sign?” I said.

Mark W

Part Nine

‘Sure you don’t want to think about it? Talk it over with your friends first?’I hesitated – but just for a moment. Why should I talk it over with anyone else?Wasn’t I capable of making a decision like this? Why did I need to ask anyone else’s permission?

Morag C.

Part Ten

After all, who could turn down the chance of a lifetime to own a piece of television history? Here I am about to spend my life savings on a screen legend car, sitting there gleaming in the summer sun, just waiting to be mine.

Gordon M

Part Eleven

No other automobile would ever come close to this, such glory, such class......such utter delusion! Was I really going to spend close to ten thousand pounds on a scrappy old car with three wheels? It's legendary owner wouldn't have gone near this deal with a bargepole, not so luv’ly jubbly!

Mark W

Part Twelve

He must think I'm mad! Trying to off-load Del Boy's trusty old steed. Hang on! Didn't its load of blow-up dolls do just that, sending it to the great breakers yard in the sky? It's a scam! There's got to be something better out there. Now what about blow-up dolls....?

Dave F

Part Thirteen

‘Ooohh, a seedy market....and me with a wholesome reputation` I thought.What would the neighbours say if I started having people coming to the door, adorned in raincoat and then walking away with their future passion? Little did I know that they came in a box and not already inflated.

Mark W

Part Fourteen

But I digress. What better way then spending the money on an icon of my youth? I could almost hear DelBoy’s and Rodney’s voices. Would it be the same if I’d bid for James Bond’s Aston Martin DB5 for instance? No, this vehicle was an E Bay bargain and special.

Jan Mc

Please include in your email your permission should it be chosen for the next part.

Check out the site nearer Christmas for the first ever Online Jotters e magazine

Yours truly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Felixstowe Scribblers Weblog Feed