Welcome to Felixstowe Scribblers

Monday, January 23, 2006

The State of the Planet: Homework submitted by Les

Hallo George, long time no see, been away have you?"

"Yeah, bin’ down to earth on a sort of mission, guvnor wanted to know how things were going, you know, how they’re looking after the old planet, I’m supposed to hand in a report soon as I get back."

"Well then, what’s the problem? Why the glum face? You’d best do it and hand it in, you know he likes these thing done sharpish."

"If only it was that simple, you know how earth is his favourite planet, he put his heart and soul into that project, and he’s always had a real paternal interest in the environment and every living thing there. I know there’s been catastrophes of nature through the ages, that’s one of the things that made it such a challenge for the inhabitants, and built the diversity of characters but now, well when he reads my report he’ll go mad, and I’m the poor twerp who’s got to stand there feeling guilty."

"Why should you feel guilty? It’s not your fault!"

"It is my fault, it’s everyone’s fault, I lived there for seventy four years, I must have done my share of damage, you too in your time, but it’s getting worse. You ought to see it Harry, it’s a real mess, they’ve got vehicles, billions of them, going round at a heck of a speed, chucking out toxic fumes which go straight up into that lovely clear atmosphere ruining it and causing no end of damage to the balance of nature. I don’t know why they want to go that fast anyway, do you know Harry, they knock down and kill or injure thousands of people and animals every day. Then they’ve got flying things which carry hundreds of people all over the world, when one of them has an accident the lot can get killed. They don’t seem to care very much. Come to think of it they don’t seem to care much about anything except their own selfish way of living. There was some excuse for it in our day, we were ignorant about global warming and the ozone layer and polar icecaps and things, but now they are so well informed, thanks to things like education and communication. They know about alternative ways of doing these things but prefer to ignore them, don’t think about it and it might not happen, but it will happen, if we can see it why can’t they, I tell you Harry, there is going to be such a huge wake up call for them when he sees my report."

"Well then you’d better get it done and hand it in, if I were you I’d throw my hat in first though, best of luck mate, and remember, he cant kill you, you’re already dead."

"Thanks a bundle Harry mate, see you around."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Felixstowe Scribblers Weblog Feed